Farmer and tourist host John J. Nermo from Øyer owned a farm by Hornsjø, Nermo-setra.
In 1877, the first tourists from Kristania came to Nermo, spent the night with him and traveled the next day to Nermo-setra by Hornsjøen in Øyerfjellet to what became many years later Hornsjø Høyfjellshotell.
More people applied to the mountains at the end of the 19th century, and there was gradually a need for more accommodation at Hornsjø.
Therefore, John J. Nermo began to prepare the construction of a larger cabin on his seats in 1885. It became a two-story cabin with eight bedrooms, a kitchen and a fireplace room.
Picture from the dining room
In 1903 it was built, with i.a. 10 new bedrooms
The Nermo family sold Hornsjø Sæterhotel, as it was called at the time, in 1919, and the hotel now had several different owners.
In the early 30s, the couple Bjørnebye took over the hosting.
In 1938, the Nermo family bought the hotel back, and Albert and Elisabeth Wedum (grandchildren of the founders) became the host couple.
They expanded the hotel several times and made it Norway’s largest high mountain hotel with 401 beds.
Between the two world wars, the hotel was considered one of the best high mountain hotels in the country.
During the war (1940-45), Hornsjø Høyfjellspensjonat, as it was called during the war years, had an average of 510 guests a month. There were many, but the explanation was probably that people here found peace and relaxed company with others.
In the 50s and 60s, the hotel was a popular destination for both foreigners and Norwegians, and it grew from being a guest house to a high mountain hotel.
The night watchman had an important function in the hotel. In a way, he was not just a night watchman. His tasks were diverse, so in many ways he had to be trusted. Here is a work plan for the night watchman in the 1950s and up to the late 1960s
Nermo had acquired a Horch car after the war. The military car was converted into a bus and could transport guests to Hornsjø.
The year-round road was built in 1963, and the road from Korsen in Øyerfjellet to Hornsjø was opened in 1964, which provided completely new opportunities for tourism in the area.
Text from 18.08.64:
Great day for Wedum
Opened the academy of the late Hornsjø-Korsen in Øyerfjellet opens up great opportunities for traffic in this Fjell area, but basically given a special benefit to the late Albert Vedum at Hornsjø Høyfjellshotell. And he also expressed this himself when he met with the hotel cars flagged. Wedum has for several years worked hard to find a year-round road connection to the hotel. Well that’s fine, Even if he had some desire to tie hats Gone more towards Lillehammer. But at least – a great day for Wedum was also Sunday.
In 1972, Hornsjø Høyfjellshotell was again expanded with a conference room, meeting room, dining room with room for 350 guests, swimming pool and sauna.
As the hotel celebrated its 100th anniversary in September 1976, it was noted that in the past year there had been 50,000 guest nights, and that the hotel was in possession of three buses, six cars, two tractors and its own snow blower.
In 1983, the Felleseie Foundation bought Hornsjø Høyfjellshotell. It became the basis for continuing the hotel’s proud traditions.
Sources: Arvid Møller: Nermo – From farm to modern tourism, 2014 2 history maps, Gerd Agnethe Wedum: An experience in mountain adventures in the years 1876 – 2011